Saturday, December 22, 2018

Have Faith as Nachiketa

Centuries and centuries, a thousand years of crushing tyranny of castes and kings and foreigners and your own people have taken out all your strength, my brethren. 
Your backbone is broken, you are like downtrodden worms. 

Who will give you strength? Let me tell you, strength, strength is what we want. And the first step in getting strength is to uphold the Upanishads, and believe --
"I am the Soul", "Me the sword cannot cut; nor weapons pierce; me the fire cannot burn; me the air cannot dry; I am the Omnipotent, I am the Omniscient." 

So repeat these blessed, saving words. 
Do not say we are weak; we can do anything and everything. What can we not do? Everything can be done by us; we all have the same glorious soul, let us believe in it. 
Have faith, as Nachiketa. 

                     - Swami Vivekananda, 
                       Address at Madras, 
                      Lectures From Colombo to Almora


No comments:

Post a Comment