Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Bringing Life Back Into India

Going round the whole world, I find that people of this country [i.e. India] are immersed in great Tamas (inactivity), compared with people of other countries. 
On the outside, there is a simulation of the Sattvika (calm and balanced) state, but inside, downright inertness like that of stocks and stones -- what work will be done in the world by such people? 
How long can such an inactive, lazy, and sensual people live in the world? …

So my idea is first to make the people active by developing their Rajas, and thus make them fit for the struggle for existence. …

By stimulating them I want to bring life into them -- to this I have dedicated my life. I will rouse them through the infallible power of Vedic Mantras. 
I am born to proclaim to them that fearless message --"Arise! Awake!" Be you my helpers in this work!

                 - Swami Vivekananda, 
                    Conversations and Dialogues, 
                      recorded by Sharat Chandra Chakravarty


No comments:

Post a Comment