Friday, April 20, 2018

Shankaracharya Jayanti


NIRVANASHATKAM, OR 
SIX STANZAS ON NIRVANA
                (Translation by Swami Vivekananda of a poem 
                     by Sri Shankaracharya)
           
              I am neither the mind, nor the intellect, 
                        nor the ego, nor the mind - stuff;
             I am neither the body, nor the changes of the body;
             I am neither the senses of hearing, taste, smell, 
                          or sight,
             Nor am I the ether, the earth, the fire, the air;

             I am Existence Absolute, Knowledge Absolute, 
                           Bliss Absolute --
            I am He, I am He. (Shivoham, Shivoham).

            I am neither the Prana, nor the five vital airs;
            I am neither the materials of the body, 
                           nor the five sheaths;
            Neither am I the organs of action, 
                          nor object of the senses;
           
            I am Existence Absolute, Knowledge Absolute, 
                            Bliss Absolute --
            I am He, I am He. (Shivoham, Shivoham).

            I have neither aversion nor attachment, 
                        neither greed nor delusion;
            Neither egotism nor envy, neither 
                         Dharma nor Moksha;
            I am neither desire nor objects of desire;
             
I am Existence Absolute, Knowledge Absolute, 
                Bliss Absolute --
         I am He, I am He. (Shivoham, Shivoham).

         I am neither sin nor virtue, neither pleasure nor pain;
              Nor temple nor worship, 
              nor pilgrimage nor scriptures,
        Neither the act of enjoying, 
               the enjoyable nor the enjoyer;

I am Existence Absolute, Knowledge Absolute, 
            Bliss Absolute --
        I am He, I am He. (Shivoham, Shivoham).

        I have neither death nor fear of death, nor caste;
        Nor was I ever born, nor had I parents, 
                   friends, and relations;
        I have neither Guru, nor disciple;
           
I am Existence Absolute, Knowledge Absolute, 
               Bliss Absolute --
        I am He, I am He. (Shivoham, Shivoham).

        I am untouched by the senses, 
        I am neither Mukti nor knowable;
        I am without form, without limit, 
              beyond space, beyond time;
        I am in everything; I am the basis of the universe;
                 everywhere am I.

        I am Existence Absolute, Knowledge Absolute, 
                   Bliss Absolute --
       I am He, I am He. (Shivoham, Shivoham).



No comments:

Post a Comment