Thursday, December 27, 2018

Stepping-Stone to Advaita

I, through the grace of God, had the great good fortune to sit at the feet of one whose whole life was such an interpretation, whose life, a thousandfold more than whose teaching, was a living commentary on the texts of the Upanishads, was in fact the spirit of the Upanishads living in a human form. 

Perhaps I have got a little of that harmony; I do not know whether I shall be able to express it or not. 
But this is my attempt, my mission in life, to show that the Vedantic schools are not contradictory, that they all necessitate each other, all fulfill each other, 
and one, as it were, is the stepping-stone to the other, 
until the goal, the Advaita, the Tat Tvam Asi, is reached. 

              - Swami Vivekananda, 
                 Address at Calcutta, 
                 Lectures From Colombo to Almora


No comments:

Post a Comment