Thursday, May 16, 2019

Mother's Work

Disciple: If you give up work for some time and take rest, then you will be all right. Your life means good to the world.

Swamiji: Am I able to sit quiet, my son! Two or three days before Shri Ramakrishna's passing away, She whom he used to call "Kali" entered this body. It is She who takes me here and there and makes me work, without letting me remain quiet or allowing me to look to my personal comforts.

Disciple: Are you speaking metaphorically?

Swamiji: Oh, no; two or three days before his leaving the body, he called me to his side one day, and asking me to sit before him, looked steadfastly at me and fell into Samadhi. Then I really felt that a subtle force like an electric shock was entering my body! 
In a little while, I also lost outward consciousness and sat motionless. How long I stayed in that condition I do not remember; when consciousness returned I found Shri Ramakrishna shedding tears. 
On questioning him, he answered me affectionately, 
"Today, giving you my all, I have become a beggar. With this power you are to do many works for the world's good before you will return." 
I feel that power is constantly directing me to this or that work. This body has not been made for remaining idle. 

                  - Swami Vivekananda, 
                   Conversations and Dialogues, 
                   recorded by Sharat Chandra Chakravarty in 1901 
                  (Swamiji was ill at that time) 


No comments:

Post a Comment