Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Spiritual Contemplation and Lecturing

I am wearied of lecturing and all that nonsense. 
This mixing with hundreds of varieties of the human animal has disturbed me. 
I will tell you what is to my taste; I cannot write, and I cannot speak, but I can think deeply, and when I am heated, can speak fire. 

It should be, however, to a select, a very select -- few. 
Let them, if they will, carry and scatter my ideas broadcast -- not I. This is only a just division of labour. 

The same man never succeeded both in thinking and in scattering his thoughts. A man should be free to think, especially spiritual thoughts. 

               - Swami Vivekananda, 
                  in a Letter to Hale Sisters 
                  from Detroit (March 1894)


No comments:

Post a Comment