Sunday, November 24, 2019

Body

[From the worldly standpoint,] my all is this body. My world is this body. My God is this body. I am the body. 
If you pinch me, I am pinched. I forget God the moment I have a headache. I am the body! 
God and everything must come down for this highest goal -- the body. 

From this standpoint, when Christ died on the cross and did not bring angels [to his aid], he was a fool. He ought to have brought down angels and gotten himself off the cross! 
But from the standpoint of the lover, to whom this body is nothing, who cares for this nonsense? Why bother thinking about this body that comes and goes? 
There is no more to it than the piece of cloth the Roman soldiers cast lots for. 

              - Swami Vivekananda, 
                 ‘Divine Love’ – Talk in California


No comments:

Post a Comment