Friday, November 1, 2019

I Am Free

"He whose joy is only in himself, whose desires are only in himself, he has learned his lessons." 
This is the great lesson that we are here to learn through myriads of births and heavens and hells -- that there is nothing to be asked for, desired for, beyond one's Self. 

"The greatest thing I can obtain is my Self." "I am free", therefore I require none else for my happiness. 
"Alone through eternity, because I was free, am free, and will remain free for ever." 
This is Vedantism. 

I preached the theory so long, but oh, joy! 
Mary, my dear sister, I am realising it now every day. Yes, I am --"I am free." "Alone, alone, I am the one without a second."

Ever yours in the Sat-Chit-Ananda, 

                      - Swami Vivekananda, 
                         in a Letter to Mary Hale 
                           from San Francisco (March 1900)


No comments:

Post a Comment