Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Scriptures are Maps

Realisation of religion is the only way. Each one of us will have to discover. Of what use are these books, then, these Bibles of the world? 
They are of great use, just as maps are of a country. I have seen maps of England all my life before I came here, they were great helps to me in forming some sort of conception of England. Yet, when I arrived in this country, what a difference between the maps and the country itself! 

So is the difference between realisation and scriptures. These books are only the maps, the experiences of past men, as a motive power to us to dare to make the same experiences and discover in the same way, if not better. 

               - Swami Vivekananda, 
                  ‘Methods and Purpose of Religion’ - 
                     Talk in England

No comments:

Post a Comment